Coupled with the illegal and inhumane blockade of Gaza and the overwhelming violence perpetrated by Israel against the Gaza Strip, Israel has continuously exploited and stolen Gaza’s natural resources (oil and gas) for its own benefit and use at the expense of the Palestinian population.
In October 2022 the Palestinian BDS National Committee, the largest Palestinian coalition that leads the global Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions movement, called on supporters of Palestinian rights worldwide to join climate justice movements in holding the US fossil fuel multinational Chevron and the German conglomerate Siemens accountable for helping to fuel environmental destruction and Israeli apartheid. The Freedom Flotilla Coalition joins the BDS Movement in their Call to Boycott Chevron & Siemens.
According to previous UN Special Rapporteur Michael Lynk, “Israel’s policy of usurping Palestinian natural resources and disregarding the environment has robbed Palestinians of vital assets, and means they simply cannot enjoy their right to development”, constituting a form of human rights violation.
“The exploitation of Palestinian natural resources, including oil and natural gas, by the occupying Power imposes on the Palestinian people enormous costs to escalate as the occupation remains in effect. This is not only contrary to the international law but also in violation of natural justice and moral law”. – Report by United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD).
The BDS National Committee (BNC), which leads the BDS Movement has declared that European energy deals with Israel violate EU policies and obligations under international law.
Reports from Palestinian human rights organization, Al-Haq on Israeli exploitation of Palestinian natural resources:
- New Report, „Annexing Energy“ reveals Israel’s systematic and forced closure of Gaza to protect the interests of American and Israeli gas companies
- Annexing Energy – Exploiting and Preventing the Development of Oil and Gas in the O.P.T.
- No to Second Oslo: Al-Haq Condemns the Palestinian Authority Gas Agreement, Subjecting Generations of Palestinians in the Gaza Strip to Corporate Capture and Perpetual Closure
- Beneath Troubled Waters – Report by SOMO, an independent Dutch research centre, on Israeli pillaging of natural gas from Gaza.
- Biden Government & Chevron Colluding In Israel’s ‘Pillage’ of Gaza’s Gas Resources – Nafeez Ahmed report, 20 May 2021.
Israel Siphoning Natural Gas from Gaza Says Dutch Report (2-Part video revealing Israeli theft of natural Gas from Gaza’s territorial waters):